Cinnamon is sweet and warm natured effective spice which is used in cooking as well as in medical system. It is the bark of Cinnamomum tree which is utilised for various purposes. It is also used as a sweetener in cooking. It can be used as bark or in powder form as well. It is packed with a high amount of antioxidants. There are different compounds present which is responsible for cinnamon health benefits. These are cinnamaldehyde, cinnamic acid and cinnamate. Cinnamon can be extracted from a cinnamon plant in the form of a cinnamon stick, essential oils and in powder form. It contains phenolic compounds, flavonoids and antioxidants. These compounds are responsible for many health protecting properties like antioxidants, anti-inflammatory effects, anti-diabetic properties, antimicrobial benefits, immunity enhancing abilities, cancer and heart disease protective abilities. There is various cinnamon uses for health and cooking as well.
- Anti Diabetic Effects – Diabetes is referred to high blood sugar level in the body. It happens when insulin resistance occurs, and poor glycemic control takes place or inability of the body to manage how much sugar (glucose) enters the blood stream. Cinnamon helps in lowering blood sugar level and also improve insulin secretion which is needed to balance blood sugar level. Cinnamon plays an important role in blocking alanines enzymes which facilitate glucose to absorb in blood. It decreases the amount of glucose which is entering into the blood stream. So consume cinnamon in foods especially who has diabetes.
- Cinnamon Benefits For Skin – It contains antibiotic and antimicrobial properties which protect skin from irritation, infections and allergies. Just apply cinnamon oil on the skin which helps in reducing inflammations, swellings, pain.
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding – Cinnamon is helpful in controlling heavy bleeding whether it is due to endometriosis, uterine fibroids, childbirth or miscarriage. Consume cinnamon powder or its capsules during heavy bleeding. But do not take excess because it also acts as a blood thinner. People who are on medication for blood thinning, do not overeat cinnamon.
- Reduce Cancer Risks – Since cinnamon is high in antioxidant abilities, it can protect the body from DNA damage, cell mutation and cancerous cell growth. Cinnamaldehyde present in cinnamon inhibit cancer cell growth and protect DNA from damage which also promotes cancerous cell self-destruction.
- Packed With Antioxidants – Cinnamon is packed with various protective anti oxidants. These reduce free radical damage and slow ageing process. Cinnamon contains antioxidants like polyphenols, phenolic acids and flavonoids. These compounds help in fighting oxidative stress in the body which can give rise to various diseases. The cinnamon health benefits include its ability to reduce nitric oxide buildup in blood and lipid peroxidation which can cause cancer, brain disorders and heart diseases.
- Protect Heart – Cinnamon reduce the risk of heart diseases, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. The unique component present in cinnamon reduce bad cholesterol and stabilises good cholesterol. It is a useful blood coagulant and prevents excess bleeding by forming blood clots. Cinnamon improves blood circulation and enhances body cell abilities to repair itself after damage. This ability helps heart tissues to regrow to fight heart attack, heart disease and stroke.
- Anti Inflammatory Abilities – Since cinnamon has high anti oxidant amount which gives it anti inflammatory abilities. It is helpful in reducing heart diseases, brain illness and cancer etc. It can be also beneficial in relieving pain, swellings, muscle soreness and allergies.