Eucalyptus also is known as Eucalyptus Globulus is very commonly found the herb. The eucalyptus tree is also known as fever tree, blue tree, and stringy bark tree. There are over 500 species of eucalyptus. Eucalyptus is also an indoor plant. Eucalyptus has distinct menthol like odor. Eucalyptus leaves are light green initially then turn darker as gets older. It is an exotic plant with many uses in home remedies and medicinally. The major benefit of this plant can be taken in the form of eucalyptus essential oil. This oil has medicinal properties. The eucalyptus plant leaves are dried and then crushed and distilled to extract strong, colorless, volatile and potent essential oil. The chemical compound Cineole present in Eucalyptus is responsible for its health benefits. Its medicinal effects are wide including inflammation reduction, pain and killing leukemia cells. The eucalyptus essential oil also has anti inflammatory, antispasmodic, antibacterial, decongestant and other medicinal qualities.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil Benefits
- Hair Nourishment – Eucalyptus essential oil is excellent to remove dandruff and relieve itchy scalp. It also removes lice from the head and gives scalp nourishment.
How to use – Just add few drops of eucalyptus essential oil in a base oil such as olive oil or coconut oil. Massage your hair and scalp thoroughly. Keep this for half an hour and then rinse off. Repeat this twice a week to get results. This oil gives proper nourishment to hair.
- Cold and Fever – Eucalyptus essential oil for cold is widely used. Eucalyptus oil works as an expectorant; this property helps to cleanse the body from toxins and deadly bacteria which can make you sick.
How to use – Make a steam bath by pouring a cup of boiling water into a bowl and mix10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Cover yourself taking a towel and take steam for 15 mins.
You can also drop some drops of essential oil in your diffuser before going to bed. This will give you relief all night.
- Home Care Tips – Eucalyptus essential oil fills your home with nice, fresh fragrance. It contains antimicrobial properties as well. It is also very useful at removing spots on carpet and clothes. This oil is also good to clean your greasy and grimy hands and left them moisturized.
How to use – You just have to add few drops of oil whenever doing laundry, detergent, in mop water and hand cleanser.
- Treat Injuries – The oil has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties which treat wounds, burns, cuts, sores very effectively. It also excels natural pain reliever and keeps the affected area away from infection which speeds up the healing process.
- Respiratory Problems – Eucalyptus essential oil is very effective for curing respiratory illnesses. The oil contains antibacterial, anti inflammatory, anti viral, decongestant properties which makes it usable in many medicines for respiratory problems. This oil can cure a cold, cough, sore throat, asthma, nasal congestion, bronchitis, and sinusitis.
How to use – Asthmatic patients rub 2 4 drops of oil onto the chest. The soothing effect of aroma and vapors will calm the throat and dilate blood vessels. This will promote more oxygen in lungs and give normal breathing.
- Mental Relief – Sometimes a person suffering from any disorder feels lifeless due to various treatment processes. At this condition eucalyptus, essential oil gives you cooling and refreshing effect and also rejuvenate the spirit to fight with illness. The oil treats stress and mental disorders as well. The oil acts as a vasodilator which increases blood flow around the body by relaxing blood vessels. More blood circulation means more blood to the brain, which increases brain power.
- Muscle Pain – The volatile eucalyptus oil is anti inflammatory and analgesic in nature. Massaging eucalyptus oil on skin surface helps to relieve the pain of joint and muscle pain. Therefore if a person is suffering from stiff muscles, aches, sprained ligament and tendons and nerve pain then this essential oil is very effective.
How to use – Massage with this oil in a circular motion on an affected area.
- Remove Bad Breath – Eucalyptus contain cineole along with eucalyptol. The cineole is antiseptic that kills the bacteria which cause bad breath. It can potentially fight bacteria and prevent plaque buildup and gingivitis.
How to use – Simply add a drop of eucalyptus essential oil on to toothpaste on the brush before brushing. Use daily and feel results.