An increase in average body temperature (98.6 F or 37 degree Celsius) is termed as fever. Fever can occur to anyone at any stage. In this article, we will learn to cure fever in babies, adults and pregnancy.
Fever in Babies
Baby’s temperature can also rise due to various reason like in adults. From warm bath, physical exertion, little over dressed make them warm. Even day time hot temperature can increase their body temperature but as the sun gets down their temperature also cools down. Here are some home remedies to prevent fever and to take care of babies in fever.
- Give a child a lukewarm water tub bath or sponging. When water evaporates from his/her skin, it will cool down baby’s temperature. Never use cold water because it will give baby shivering and rise in body temperature.
- Always keep baby hydrated. Iced drinks and popsicle are good ways to keep children comfortable and at a cool temperature.
- While in fever kids can lose fluids because of sweating. Commercially prepared electrolyte replacement drink can make baby hydrated and cool.
- Keep baby in cool place. Fan and AC should be at low and comfortable settings respectively.
- Give baby a mild foot massage with oil. Oil should be warm. Rub warm oil on the bottom of baby’ feet. Apply gentle pressure on soles with your thumbs. At last, give a light massage to whole feet for a just couple of minutes.
- Keep baby in comfortable clothes all the time and monitor the fever at regular intervals to see the recovery.
Fever in Adults
Illness can occur in response to various infections like flu, virus or bacterial infection. Many other causes may also be responsible, such as drugs, poisons, heat exposure, injuries or abnormalities of the brain, etc. Average body temperature can vary depending on the body, day time and weather. But base line temperature of the body is 98.6 F or 37 degree Celsius. Brain part called Hypothalamus controls body temperature. It works like a thermostat for the body. It maintains body temperature by a heating mechanism, such as shivering and increased metabolism and cooling mechanism such as sweating and dilating (opening) blood vessels close to the skin.
Fever is related with physical discomfort, and most people feel better when the illness is treated. Here are some useful remedies which are very effective to cure fever in adults.
Home Remedies for Fever in Adults
- Turmeric – It is an excellent herb to cure sickness. The chemical compound called Curcumin in turmeric contains potent antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant properties. It is beneficial for the immune system to fight any infection. It will also help in preventing complications and reduce the duration of fever.
How to use – Mix ½ tsp of turmeric and ¼ tsp black pepper powder in a cup of hot milk. Drink this twice a day to get rid of the fever and its symptoms.
- Mint – The cooling properties of mint will help to keep the internal system cool and reduce body temperature.
How to use – Add 1 tbsp of crushed mint leaves to 1 cup of hot water. Steep this solution for about 10 mins. Filter the solution and add some honey to it. You should drink this herbal tea 3 to 4 times a day daily till recovery.
- Ginger – It helps the body to eliminate heat which in turns helps reduce fever. It is a natural antiviral and antibacterial agent and keeps the immune system stronger to fight with infections.
How to use – Prepare ginger tea by adding ½ tsp of freshly grated ginger to 1 cup of boiling water. Let this solution steep for few mins. After adding some honey to it and drink this tea for 3 to 4 times a day to get recover.
- Basil – It is very effective herb to cool down the body temperature. It has healing properties which will help to reduce fever quickly.
How to use – Boil 20 basil leaves and 1 tsp of crushed ginger in 1 cup of water. Boil the mixture until it reduced to half. Strain and add a little honey to it. You should drink this tea 2 to 3 times a day for 3 days.
- Cool Water – Soak a washcloth in cool water, wring out the excess of water. Now sponge the areas of the body like armpit, feet, hands, neck to reduce the temperature.
You can use a cold washcloth and place on forehead and back of your neck. The cloth pieces should regularly be changed after a few mins. It is an excellent home treatment to use in a high fever.
Fever in Pregnancy
Fever during pregnancy may occur due to various reasons like the kidney infection, pneumonia, hyperthyroidism, flu, etc. There may be some symptoms of illness like chills, neck stiffness, abdominal pain, back pain, headache, etc. Women can get worried about her baby; it is natural, but there is no need to worry. Here are some home remedies to apply for preventing fever and its symptoms.
Home Remedies for Fever during Pregnancy
- Essential things to do – Lie down and place a cold washcloth on the forehead. Stay at a cool place. You can also take warm water bath this will cool your temperature down.
- Holy Basil – Basil has antibacterial and antibiotic properties. Basil leaves contain the phytonutrient content which reduces the duration of fever and give quick recovery.
How to use – Take 6 7 leaves of basil and put them in 1 cup of water. Steep the solution for 5 6 mins. Filter the solution and drink this 4 5 times a day to get quick recovery from fever in pregnancy.
- Onion – Onion has sulphur content which removes toxins from the body, and its antibiotic and antiviral properties kill the bacteria responsible for fever. This in turns reduces the body temperature.
How to Use – Take an onion and cut it into 3 4 medium slices. Now place the slices beneath your feet. Wrap the feet along with onion slices and keep feet like it at least for 2 3 hours or maximum for overnight. Use this remedy once a day for fast recovery from fever in pregnancy.
- Olive Oil with Garlic – Garlic contains allicin which causes you natural sweating and removes toxins from the body. Olive oil in this remedy act as a soothing agent which gives you relief from body ache.
How to Use – Take 2 crushed garlic cloves and mix it with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Make a thick paste and apply it at the bottom of your feet. Cover your feet with plastic wrap. Keep your feet like this for 1 hour and then wash off with cold water. Repeat this remedy twice a day to reduce fever during pregnancy.
- Take a wash towel and dip it in cold water for 2 mins. Now remove excess water and put this cloth on the forehead for 2 mins. It will soak body heat. Now remove the towel and repeat this process for 5 to 10 times. This remedy gives you comfort and relief. Cooling down body temperature in pregnancy is vital. So this is a useful treatment.