Cold is a disorder which we see often infect people 2 3 times in a year. It is a contagious disease and can spread by hand to hand touch with someone or by utensils, towels, toys or telephones. In this nose and throat get infected by a virus (mostly by rhinovirus), throat becomes sore, and nose becomes red and swollen filled with mucus. Cold cause sneezing and coughing. There are some other symptoms also, they usually appear 1 to 3 days after exposure to the cold causing virus. Signs and symptoms of cold may vary person to person include:
- Stuffy and running nose
- Sore throat
- Slight body aches
- Feels unwell
- Watery eyes
Many viruses can cause cold, but Rhinovirus is main which infected you with cold. Those viruses enter the body through various parts, such as eyes, nose or mouth. The germs can also be spread by tiny droplets diffused in the air by a person who is sick when coughs, sneezes or talks.
Cold is unbearable when comes with too many symptoms. Working in that condition is tough. But there are some Ayurvedic home remedies to cure a cold as well as its symptoms. These remedies are easy and very effective:
- Pepper – It is beneficial herb to cure a cold. Pepper contains Capsaicin present which gives you relief from congestion. You can consume pepper anyhow. Add it to your food or mix it in tea gives you relief from cold.
- Ginger Tea – Ginger has antibiotic and antibacterial properties. It is very effective for cold and its symptoms. Ginger herbal tea is a beneficial drink. Put some ginger in a jar and sprinkle some cinnamon powder. Add boiling water to it. Cover the jar with lid and steep for 30 to 40 mins. Then filter the tea and put some honey and lemon to make it more tasty and healthy. Drink this tea times a day to get quick relief.
- Honey – It has a variety of antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Drinking honey in tea can get you relief from sore throat pain. It is an excellent cough suppressant.
- Steam – Steam is very beneficial to relieve stuffy and running nose. Just boil 2 3 cups water in large pot and remove from heat. Add 2 tbsp of each rosemary and oregano. These are very useful herbs for different purposes. Now cover the pot for 5-6 mins. Then cover your head with a towel and remove the lid of the pot. Take steam by deep breathing. Do this process for 15 mins. Repeat this three times a day for better results.
- Garlic Tea – Garlic is also a beneficial herb for many disorders. It has antiviral and antibacterial properties. Grind some garlic cloves and put them in a glass. Add some lemon juice and some honey for better taste to it. Mix it and drink this tea 3 4 times a day. It is an excellent remedy for cold.
- Spice Tea – As its name suggests, it is prepared by many herbs and spices. All these with specific benefits. Dry roast and grind an equal amount of coriander seeds, cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds. Now boil a cup of water and add ½ tsp of a mixture of above spices. Mix ½ tsp of mishri ( rock candy) to it. Let it simmer for 3 4 mins. Now add 2 tbsp of milk in it. Boil the solution. Strain the tea and sip it when it is warm enough to drink. You should drink this tea daily until recovery.