High Blood Pressure also called Hypertension is a condition in which blood force is so high against artery walls that it may ultimately cause health issues like heart problems. It determines the amount of blood your heart pumps. The more blood heart pumps and narrower the arteries and higher the blood pressure. High blood pressure symptoms are almost none. There are very few signs. It develops very slowly with time without any symptom. But it does not mean it is harmless. It may cause several heart diseases. Uncontrolled blood pressure can cause harm to arteries. It is a very critical condition. There are mainly 2 categories:
- Secondary Hypertension – It is high blood pressure which is a result of other health problem.
- Primary Hypertension – It may occur due to genetic reason. It does not take place due to any other health issue but develops over the time.
High Blood Pressure Symptoms
There are few or almost no symptoms of high blood pressure. It is a dangerous silent killer, which develop over the time and cause health problems. The few are
- Dull headaches
- Dizzy spells
- Frequent nose bleeding
- Blurred vision
When blood pressure suddenly rises at that time, it shows some emergency signs to consider it a medical emergency. This condition is called Hypertensive Crisis. It defines blood pressure reading of 180 or above for systolic pressure or 110 or above for diastolic pressure. If you get this reading, then wait for some more time and get one more reading to be sure about the reading. There may be some emergency High blood pressure symptoms like:
- Severe headache
- Severe anxiety
- Shortness of breath
- Nose bleed
High Blood Pressure During Pregnancy
Women may also develop high blood pressure during pregnancy. There may be a number of factors for this condition:
- Over weight
- Less activity
- Smoking and alcohol
- Hypertension or genetic history of kidney problems
- IVF and other pregnancy related problems
- Being over 40 years of age
- Carrying more than 1 child
- First-time pregnancy
High blood pressure during pregnancy can induce premature born of a baby to detach from the placenta or require a cesarean delivery. But in most cases blood pressure return to normal position after delivery.
If high blood pressure continues after 20 weeks of pregnancy, then it may lead to complication Preeclampsia. This condition can cause damage to organs and brain.
Complications and Risks of High Blood Pressure
Untreated high blood pressure with time may result in various heart problems and various complications like heart attack, stroke and heart failure. Along with these other problems may occur like:
- Vision loss
- Kidney damage
- Erectile dysfunction
- Fluid build in lungs
- Memory loss
What Causes High Blood Pressure?
Blood pressure is a force of blood against the artery walls. The heart pumps blood into arteries which carry blood through the body. High blood pressure (Hypertension) is critical because it makes heart working hard to pump blood out to body and contributes hardening of arteries, stroke, kidney failure and ultimately to heart failure.
The exact causes of high blood pressure are not known but there are several factors which develop high blood pressure:
- Less physical activity
- Sleep apnea
- Older age
- Too much salty food
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Adrenal and thyroid disorders
- Family history of high blood pressure
People who are prone to develop high blood pressure.
- Pregnant women
- Women who take birth control pills
- People above 35 age
- People who are overweight
- Alcoholic persons
- Less physically active people
- People who eat too much fat
Various factors and conditions may lead to secondary hypertension :
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Kidney problems
- Adrenal gland tumours
- Thyroid problems
- Certain defects in blood vessels
- Some medicines like birth control pills, cold remedies, decongestants. Chronic alcohol consumption
High Blood Pressure Numbers / High Blood Pressure Chart
High blood pressure chart and high blood pressure numbers can help you figure out the exact measure of blood pressure whether it is at a healthy level or above the normal level.
Blood pressures numbers have 4 categories ranging from normal high blood pressure to secondary hypertension level. That provides you with an idea of what kind of treatment you need.
|Top number (systolic) in mm Hg||Bottom number (diastolic) in mm Hg||Your Category||What To Do|
|Below 120||Below 80||Normal blood pressure||Follow healthy living|
|Between 120-139||Between 80-89||Prehypertension||Follow healthy living|
|Between 140-159||Between 90-99||Stage 1 hypertension||Follow or adapt healthy living. If your blood pressure does not get normal in a month then start Remedies|
|160 or Higher||100 or High||Stage 2 hypertension||Follow healthy living. Start taking ayurvedic remedies or see the physician.|
After taking care when your blood pressure becomes normal start following healthy living.
High Blood Pressure Diet
Healthy eating is an effective cure to lower down your blood pressure. It is recommended that eat food with less salt and high in potassium. The focus is on low sodium and low cholesterol foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Some heart healthy foods include:
- Apples, bananas, oranges
- Broccoli, carrots
Foods to avoid are:
- Foods and drinks high in sugar
- Red meat
- Coconut oil
- Do not excess alcohol
High Blood Pressure Home Remedies
- Eat lots of Melons – Water melons contains an organic compound called Citrulline. Once it enters the body it gets converted to L-Arginine, the precursor to nitric oxide. Nitric oxide in body relaxes blood vessels causing your blood pressure to decrease. It is a great natural remedy to cure.
- Ginger – Cardamom Tea – Both are warming spices that improve circulation, you can make lovely tea to help your heart get healthy. Crush cardamom to release oil. Take all ingredients water, honey, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, tea bag, milk. Combine them all in a pan except honey. Bring to boil, simmer for 6 to 10 mins, until you get rich caramel like brown colour. Stir in honey then strain into a mug. Drink this 1 to 2 times a day. This is a very good herbal remedy to cure high blood pressure.
- Lemons – It helps to keep blood vessels soft and pliable and remove rigidity, this results in lowering of blood pressure. Just squeeze lemon in warm water and drink it empty stomach every morning. For better result avoid adding salt and sugar.
- Onion Juice – Onions have also found to lower your blood pressure down. It has antioxidant flavonol called Quercetin which helps to lower down blood pressure.
Try to eat 1 medium sized raw onion daily empty stomach.
You can mix 1 half tsp each of onion juice and honey. Take it twice a day for 1 to 2 Weeks.
- Potatoes – Eating more potassium rich fruits and vegetables is good for lowering your blood pressure down. Potatoes have high amount of potassium. Other potassium rich ingredients are sweet potato, tomato, orange juice, bananas, kidney beans, dry fruits.
- Coconut Water – It contains potassium and magnesium both of which relate to regular muscles functions. As the heart is also a giant muscle coconut water is good for the heart. Drink 8 ounces fresh coconut water daily 1 to 2 times. Morning is ideal for drinking it if you are consuming once a day.