Indigestion or Dyspepsia is a very common problem in today’s life because most of us eat anything without thinking, whether it will be good for digestive system or not. Indigestion is not a disease rather it is a discomfort in the stomach and upper abdomen. Ingestion is a condition of the stomach when stomach acid which is required to digest food, comes in contact with the mucosa of the digestive system. This mucosa is a protective lining of the digestive system, which breaks down when comes in contact with stomach acid. When this mucosa breaks down, this causes irritation and inflammation in the stomach with some other indigestion symptoms. It is a functional disease in which functions of stomach and small intestine get affected. Indigestion system can be different in different people. Even indigestion can be a symptom of a stomach disease. People who consume too much alcohol may get this problem, even some drugs like Aspirin or some other pain reliever, and emotion problem can also cause you Indigestion.
There are some common symptoms of Indigestion which may vary from person to person:
- Burn feeling in stomach and upper abdomen
- Feeling of fullness even after eating less
- Acidic taste
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Growling stomach
- Abdominal swelling
- Uncomfortable fullness after eating meal or fullness lasts longer than it should be.
Indigestion is often related to lifestyle habits, food choices and eating habits, even some medicines may also cause you indigestion.
Diseases which may cause Indigestion are
- Stomach cancer
- Stomach infection or Inflammation
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Thyroid disease
- Inflammation in pancreas
- Reduced blood flow in intestine
- Intestinal blockage
Medications Which can cause Indigestion
- Aspirin and other pain killers
- Estrogen and oral contraceptives
- Steroid medicines
- Some Antibiotics
- Thyroid medicines
Lifestyle habits which cause you Indigestion
- Overeating, eating too fast
- Too much alcohol consumption
- Fatty greasy and spicy food
- Caffeine consumption, chocolates, and carbonated beverages
- Emotional trauma
Indigestion Remedies or Indigestion Treatments
- Fennel Seeds – These are very good for indigestion. Chew or swallow 1 tbsp of fennel seeds. These seeds contain oil which is useful to relieve spasm in the gut, cure nausea, and also control flatulence. If you are eating too much spicy food, just chew some fennel seeds after your meal. This will not cause indigestion. That is why in restaurants fennel seeds are given after a meal.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Mix 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar in 1 cup warm water and drink. It will help you to digest food if the acid in the stomach is not available in enough amount. Add little honey to drink for better taste.
- Coriander – It is a very useful spice for the stomach. It relieves indigestion and also enhances the production of digestive enzymes for digest food properly. It helps to calm the stomach discomfort. Mix 1 tsp of roasted coriander seeds powder in 1 glass of buttermilk. Drink this once or twice a day.
- Ginger – It helps to stimulate the digestive juices in the stomach to digest food properly. Ginger works very effectively to cure indigestion. Take 2 tbsp of ginger juice, 1 tsp lemon juice, and a pinch of table salt and black salt. Mix these spices and intake them with or without water, as you like.
- Carom seeds – Carom seeds help to cure flatulence, indigestion, and diarrhea since it contains digestive and carminative properties. Take carom seeds and ginger, grind them to make a powder. Store this mixture. Take 1 tsp of this powdered mixture, mix it in 1 cup of warm water and add black pepper. Drink this once or twice a week to cure indigestion and stable results.
- Cinnamon – This spice helps to digest food and get you relief from cramps and bloating. Mix ½ tsp of cinnamon powder to 1 cup of boiling water. Steep for few mins and drink it when it still has warmth.