- 1 Body Type
- 2 Body Shapes
- 3 Male Body Shapes
- 4 Female Body Shapes
“Everybody and every body is dissimilar.”
There is a much wide spectrum of body shapes and body types, you can imagine of. Once you know about your body type or shape, you can further go for various techniques to maintain your body shape. There are 3 body types but remember that body shape, and body type is not one thing.
Endomorph – more body fat, pear often shaped, soft and round body, gain fat easily, slow metabolism, muscles are not well defined.
Mesomorph – well built, muscular, high metabolism, hard athletic body, rectangular shape body, gain fat and muscles easily, responsive muscle cells.
Ectomorph – lean and long, flat chest, hard gainer, small shoulder, sheer muscle mass, hard to gain weight, fast metabolism.
Body shapes are different for male and female. The majority of women fall into 12 categories and males have 5 body shapes. Since body shape of women changes over time because of various reasons than men does. Therefore females have a much broader class of body shapes than males. Even you look good when you dress according to body shape. Here we are describing body shapes and the dressing sense according to your build.
Male Body Shapes
Rectangular Body Shape
Straight up and down, have a tall and thin frame, shoulders have a roughly same width as that of waist and hips.
- What suits you – horizontal strips, structured tailoring, layered looks, prints, color pops.
- What does not suit you – double breasted jackets.
Oval Body Shape
Upper body has excess weight; center torso is wider than shoulder and hips, broader limbs, that widen at their midpoint.
- What suits you – trousers, pleated shirts, jackets, neckties.
- What does not suit you – tight fits, pattern, visual clusters.
Triangle Body Shape
Little more weight around middle and hips about top parts of the body, this makes a triangular body.
- What suits you – tailored pants and blazers, vertical stripes, bright colored panels, jackets with structured shoulders.
- What does not suit you – fitted polo shirts, roll neck, brighter colors, busy prints, skinny fits.
Inverted Triangle Body Shape
Upper body half has broad shoulders and carries excess muscles and shape noticeably tapers down the waist, smaller hips.
- What suits you – slim fit shirts, horizontal stripes, slim cotton polo shirts, V neck, t shirts, straight leg trousers and jeans, jackets.
- What does not suit you – structured tailoring, prints, patterns, scoop necklines.
Trapezoid Body Shape
The waist is the narrowest part of the body; rib cage widens steadily up to collarbone and shoulders, these are the broadest part of the torso, this gives body overall trapezoid shape with shorter side at the bottom.
- What suits you – trousers, shirts, neckties, jackets.
- What does not suit you – an average build needs good personal style to look sharp, avoid anything loose and saggy and any outfits that are completely bland and generic looking.
Female Body Shapes
Straight Body Shape
Same measurement for all body sections, also called Supermodel body, Rectangular or Ruler body, waist line is not well defined, so body looks straight.
- What suits you – tube tops, dresses, wear bright colors, try different textures and cuts.
- What does not suit you – clothes which highlight your waistline, rigid or shapeless clothes.
Pear Body Shape
Large hips, small bust, also called Triangle shape body, the body has definite shape and curves, have broad hips.
- What suits you – scoop neck and boat neck tops, these will make your shoulder look broad.
- What does not suit you – avoid balloon dresses, cigarette pants, tight skirts
Apple Body Shape
The bust is larger than a hip section; waist is not well defined, round shoulders, small hips, slimmer legs, and arms, also called Inverted body shape.
- What suits you – soft textured fabrics, A line dresses, shirt with tie below the bust line, tops that fall lower than hip bone, well fitting clothes, V necks, short dresses, flowy dresses, summer jackets, shoulder blazers.
- What does not suit you – clothes that tightly fit, round textured, shapeless and boxy, tight skirts, jeans or pants, off the shoulder, boat neck.
Spoon Body Shape
Large hips ( bigger than the rest of body), the shape resembles number 8.
- What suits you – clothes that are light colored in the upper body region and dark in middle body region, boat neck, wide neck, short skirts, tops with patterns, A line skirts, boot cut jeans.
- What does not suit you – tapered ankle trousers or jeans, shapeless shirts, round neck tops with short sleeves, narrow shoulder tops, shorts or skirts that end below your hips.
Hourglass Body Shape
Bust and buttocks are well balanced; waist is beautifully defined, the body is in proportion throughout, round shoulders, legs are in proportion with the upper body.
- What suits you – wear clothes that show off your curves, broad belts over shirts and tops, flowy dresses, skirts, well fitting tops, tops or dresses with pleated waist, pencil skirts.
- What does not suit you – avoid shapeless clothes, loose tops, and dresses.
Oval Body Shape
The bust will be larger than rest of body, narrow hips, waist is not well defined, buttocks are flat, and legs are slender.
- What suits you – square neck, V neck, U neck tops and shirts, tunic tops, belted tops and dresses, vertical stripes, cargo pants, fish cut.
- What does not suit you – avoid tapered jeans or trousers, tunic tops, belted dresses and tops, cargo pants, fish cut skirts.
Diamond Shape Body
The bust is narrow whereas hips are broad and are in alignment with shoulder, midsection looks like an oval shaped body, arms are slender and well shaped.
- What suits you – wear pants and skirts that make you look slimmer, try belted tops and dresses, fluttered sleeves, flowy cuff sleeves tops that flow around buttocks, dark jeans, and trousers, A straight line skirts.
- What does not suit you – avoid pencil skirt, tapered trousers, big pants, vertical patterns and prints, thick scarfs.
Top Hourglass Body Shape
The waist is a gorgeous section, round shoulders; buttocks tend to bigger than the hips, proportionate body, and well-shaped legs.
- What suits you – clothes and tops that have V neck that is narrow, wear dark colored tops, jackets, well-tailored shirts.
- What does not suit you – avoid loose fitting clothes, baggy jeans, boxy shirts, square necks, boat neck, wide striped skirts, and trousers.
Skinny Body Shape
Pelvic and shoulder are in perfect alignment then you have skinny body shape, small bone structure, slender arms, and legs, buttocks are flat.
- What suits you – balloon skirts and pants, tapered ankle length jeans and trousers, crop top, high neck, low waist jeans.
- What does not suit you – skinny tops and skin tight jackets, block heels, loose fitting dresses and tops, big floral pants, dark colored jeans.
Athletic Body Shape
Muscular body, well-toned curves, tight thigh and calf muscles, well-built shoulders, broad and elongated neck, arms are well built.
- What suits you – well-fitted knee length skirts and dresses, off shoulder tops and dresses, tube tops, high neck.
- What does not suit you – padded shoulders, dresses, and jackets, baggy jackets, V neck boxy shirts, U neck.
Lollipop Body Shape
Body shape is described by full round bosoms, slim waist and hips, long legs and broad shoulders.
- What suits you – try dresses that broader hips and shoulders, V neck, boat neck, off the shoulder, pencil skirts, flowy dresses, coats with belts, tapered pants.
- What does not suit you – loose and boxy skirts and shirts, high waisted pants, heavy sweater, bolero jacket.
Cornet Body Shape
Broad shoulders, small hips, slender legs, waist is not well defined, voluminous upper body to overcome waist section.
- What suits you – ruffles around the neck, peplum tops, jeans with back pockets, low waist jeans, satin dresses, V neck, high waist pants.
- What does not suit you – shapeless and baggy dresses and tops, pencil skirts, tapered jeans and trousers, a horizontal strip around shoulders, padded shoulders.
These are the body shapes, find out your body shape and go for choosing appropriate dresses that increase your style and look.