Tea is a hot aromatic drink made by combining dried and crushed tea leaves in boiling water. Tea comes from plant Camellia Sinensis. It is most extensively used drink all over the world. There are so many types of tea which have their flavor, aroma and appearance. Their oxidization process categorizes them. These are White tea, Black tea, Green tea, Oolong tea, Dark tea, Puer tea.
- White Tea – It is most delicate of all types. It is uncured and unfermented. White Tea is hand processed. Only youngest shoots of the tea plant are used without any oxidation process. When it is brewed at low temperature with short time steeping it produce less caffeine but when brewed at a higher temperature for extended steeping it extracts more caffeine.
- Green Tea – It is made with steamed tea leaves. Leaves are allowed to dry after being picked. The oxidation process is stopped quickly by rapidly heating the leaves. This tea extracts very less caffeine when brewed at low temperature for less time.
- Black Tea – It is allowed to dry for a while to proceed for the oxidation process. During oxidation, it loses its water and absorbs more oxygen. This tea undergoes full oxidation process. As a result, it appears dark brown and black leaf. It has a higher amount of caffeine when steeped properly.
- Oolong Tea – It is also known as Wulong Tea. It undergoes oxidation partially. Oolong tea has caffeine content between green tea and black tea. It is highly fragrant tea like fresh fruits and flowers.
- Dark Tea – It is unique, flavorful aged pre biotic tea. It is sweet in taste after steeping. It is the only deliberately aged tea which undergoes a secondary fermentation process.
- Puer Tea – It is an aged black tea which is of high importance due it’s medicinal properties and earthy flavour. It is very strong with deep and rich flavour.
Tea – Useful Natural Chemicals
Tea leaves contain hundreds of chemicals, when processed these compounds break down to form new compounds. Some of the major compounds are polyphenols, which can be 40% of dry weight of leaf. There are amino acids, enzymes, methylxanthines such as caffeine, minerals, vitamins and more than 700 aroma compounds which are present in trace amount. Polyphenols, also known as Tannins, are the major group of compound present in tea. In a cup of tea, they have an astringent effect, that dry mouth feeling after the drink but also provide colour and taste. They have antioxidant properties to cure diseases. Besides health enhancing antioxidants, tea is known for its stimulant property from caffeine which contains 1% to 6% of dry weight. Theobromine and theophylline are 2 compounds similar to caffeine, and 3 methylxanthines contribute to the bitter taste of tea.
There are some health benefits of tea mentioned here which are really effective for diseases and daily life.
- Antioxidants rich Green tea helps to resist the growth of bladder, breast, stomach and pancreatic cancers. It helps in burning fat and protects the body from external damage. It also reduces oxidative stress in the brain, decrease the risk of neurological disorders.
- Antioxidants present in green tea helps in weight loss. It helps in the breakdown of belly fat contributing in weight loss.
- Tea helps to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. If 1 to 3 cups of green tea consumed daily it lower the risks of heart attack and stroke. It also reduces the levels of LDL cholesterol.
- Black tea protects lungs from damage caused by cigarette smoke. It also lessens the risk of stroke.
- Oolong tea helps in lower down the bad cholesterol level. It may also help in weight loss when intake appropriately.
- White tea has most potent anticancer properties compared to any other tea.
- Drinking tea can help to cure cataracts in which cloudiness occurs in eyes.
- The caffeine and L-theanine combination which is found in tea improves memory and concentration.
- Tea makes your smile better. It contains fluorides and tannins both of which reduce plaque buildup and tooth decay.
- Black tea helps in strengthening the immune system to fight flu and viral. Drink 2 cups a day of black tea until you get relief from the flu.