Kelp or Bladderwrack or Seawrack or Seaweed grows in coastal areas around the world. Sea kelp is a rich source of natural vitamins and minerals including trace elements. Kelp plant can grow as much 2 feet per day. This plant can be used for medicinal purposes. Kelp is dependant on the sea for a number of nutritious elements present in it since seawater is the main source of nutrients.Kelp contains about 30 minerals. Kelp is packed with iodine, calcium, sulfur, silicon, phosphorus, iron, sodium, barium, boron, chromium, lithium, potassium, aluminum, strontium, bismuth, magnesium, copper, chloride, zinc, manganese, nickel, silver, vanadium, chlorine, cobalt, gallium, tin and zirconium. It contains vitamin C, E, D, K and B complex. It is often recommended to people having the mineral deficiency. kelp is a plant which is beneficial for both humans as well as plants. It strengthens the human immune system and promotes plant growth. Some benefits of kelp are discussed below.
- Kelp contains chemical constituents such as algin, carrageenan, iodine, potassium, bromine, mucopolysaccharides, mannitol, alginic acid, kainic acid, laminin, histamine, protein, zeaxanthin, vitamin B2 and C. Kelp is a rich nutritional source and promote healthy glandular function focusing mainly on thyroid.
- Kelp helps to improve digestion, stimulate kidney functions, enhance circulation and purifies the blood.
- Kelp is proved to treat inflamed joints and tissues caused by arthritis and rheumatism. Kelp improves the immune system.
- Kelp helps to accelerate plant growth, increase fruiting and flowering and provide resistance to disease and insects.
- The most significant benefit of kelp is as growth hormone. Kelp is miracle growth stimulator for plants. It contains a high amount of auxins, gibberellins, and cytokinins. All growth hormones play an important role in plant growth. Cytokinins are responsible for cell enlargement, cell division, differentiation of cells as well as delay aging.
- Kelp is high in natural antioxidants including carotenoids, flavonoids, and alkaloids which helps to fight against disease-causing free radicals. Antioxidant vitamin C and minerals like manganese and oxidative stress and improves cardiovascular health.