Pranayama is a Sanskrit word. Like the language, Pranayama is also very old technique. Pranayama means breath control. It is a technique in which you can take control of your body by breathing. There are several techniques of Pranayama, these all are breathing exercises. Pranayama is a mixture of both Yoga and Meditation since it involves different postures and breathing. Pranayama controls and cures several diseases by different breathing techniques. 7 Pranayamas are sufficient to live healthily. It affects a person mentally as well as physically. Mentally you become more concentrated, develop strong will power, better judgement if you practice it regularly. Pranayama techniques relieve and resist disorders like cancer, blood pressure, stress, depression, diabetes, heart problems and so many health problems.
Always do Pranayama in morning in the fresh air, in comfortable clothes but after a bath. There are mainly 7 important Pranayama:
It is also known as “Omkar Japa” which means chanting of word “Om”. It is a simple breathing exercise so can be easily done on daily basis.
- Sit easily in a comfortable position.
- In this technique breathe in and breathe out time should be long. Take a deep breath and exhale chanting “Ommmm” for as long as you can.
- Breath is very important part of Pranayama whether it is Udgeeth or any Pranayama. So always centralise your breath. Just think of good and positive when you breathe in and eliminate all stress from your conscious.
- Repeat the process for 5 to 10 mins.
- It controls and cures problems related to nervous system, High Blood Pressure, Insomnia, Hypertension, Anger, Anxiety, acidity disorders.
- It helps to calm mind and give stability, improve breathing for meditation, enhance memory power.
It is the best technique to calm mind, remove frustration and agitation etc.
- Sit properly in Padmasana or Sukhasana and press your tragus with your thumb.
- Put index finger on the forehead and close your eyes with rest of the fingers.
- Just keep your mouth close and exhale by making a sound like “hmmmm” and say “Om” in soft humming voice.
- Imagine that you are eliminating negative energy from inside while exhaling and gaining positive energy. Do this process for about 3 to 5 mins.
- It relieves Anger, Anxiety, Hypertension, Tension, High BP etc.
- It helps to bring stability in mind and keep it calm. During pregnancy, if women practice this regularly it helps in easy and trouble free childbirth.
Anulom Vilom or Nadi Shodhana
It is very good exercise for stress and anxiety. It should be practised in morning time in fresh air.
- Sit straight on the ground or on the chair who cannot sit on the flat ground.
- Now close the right nostril with right thumb and inhale deeply from left nostril. Remember that breathe through lungs, not from the stomach. Now close left nostril with middle and ring finger and exhale completely from right nostril.
- Now breathe deeply from right nostril and close it then breathe out from left nostril. This is 1 set, and repeat it for 5-6 times. Do this exercise 5 to 10 mins.
- It improves blood circulation, clean and make your nervous system stronger, improves concentration, awesome for glowing skin, helps to improve lungs, control and prevent Diabetes, remove artery blockage, cure asthma, migraine, neurological problems and heart problems.
It cures stomach disorders like digestion, obesity.
- Sit straight on the plain ground, and close your eyes. Make spine completely straight.
- Keep right and left palm on right and left knee respectively.
- Now breathe in deeply and breathe out with all your force so that stomach is now deep inside.
- When you exhale imagine that your negativity and stress are going out.
- Don’t stress on inhaling, because when your stomach comes to its normal position you will automatically breathe in.
- Do this at least for 5 mins and increase the time gradually.
- It improves functions of Pancreas to secrete Insulin properly, lungs and respiratory system. It removes toxins from the body and clean internal system. It cures breast cancer. It is very effective in weight loss. It cures constipation, diabetes, acidity, and kidney problems.
In this Pranayama, you have to keep your breath out side, so hence named Bahya Pranayama. It should be done after Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- Sit in posture of Siddhasana or Padmasana.
- Take a deep breath and breathe out completely as much as you can so that there is a complete vacuum in lungs.
- Just hold your breath and meet your chin to the chest which is called Throat Lock or Jalandhar Bandha. Now contract your stomach so much under the rib cage like your stomach and back are touching each other from the inside, called Uddiyana Bandha.
- Lifting your muscle from groin area is called Mulabandha or Root Lock.
- Keep these 3 Bandhas like this for about 10 to 15 secs then breathe in deeply to release these 3 Bandhas.
- Do this exercise 2 to 5 mins daily after Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- It cures Constipation, Hernia, Acidity, Gastric problems completely. It also helps to cure problems related to Reproductive organs. Urine and sperm related problems get cured completely.
This is completely breathing in and breathe out exercise. It is best to get the maximum amount of oxygen. Do this exercise in the morning to get fresh air.
- Sit easily on the plain ground or on the chair who can’t sit on the ground. Keep your comfort in mind.
- Take a deep breath from both nostrils and fill lungs with oxygen and breathe out making a sound like a hiss.
- Breathe in deeply and breathe out completely.
- During inhalation the Diaphragm descends and abdomen moves outward and during exhalation, the diaphragm moves upward and abdomen moves inward.
- It provides relaxation to body and mind. It improves blood circulation and keeps heart problems away. It cures throat infection and Arthritis like problems. It cures Obesity and increases appetite.
This is simple breathing exercise like meditation. After doing all 6 Pranayamas just concentrate on inhaling and exhaling.
- Sit in Vajrasana or Sukhasana.
- Breathe normally and focus your mind on inhaling and exhaling. During this Pranayama just think positive.
- Do this for 3 mins to 1 hour.
- It gives physical energy and spiritual strength. It provides mental relief and removes physical disorders.
- It increases concentration and develops spirituality.
All videos are randomly picked from youtube just for reference. These videos are nowhere related to or are property or AyurvedaBenefits.org All vides content belong to their uploaders.