Every person eats food because it is the main source of energy for the body. When this food goes inside our body, it breakdown to get converted into glucose or sugar. This sugar is the main source of energy. But to absorb this energy by cells body need a hormone called Insulin, which is secreted by the pancreas. Without this hormone, cells can’t absorb this energy. If the body does not produce enough Insulin or body cells become non-reactive for this hormone, then this condition is Diabetes. Because of less insulin blood sugar level increases. This high blood sugar level in the body is termed as Diabetes or Diabetes Mellitus.
It’s of 3 types. These 3 types do not include Diabetes Insipidus and Diabetes Ketoacidosis.
- Diabetes Insipidus – It is not related to Diabetes Mellitus. It is a disorder in which there is an imbalance of water in the body. This imbalance leads to intense thirst and excessive urination even after drinking fluids.
- Diabetes Ketoacidosis – It is a complication of Diabetes Mellitus, in which body produces a high level of blood acids called ketones. This condition occurs when the body can’t produce Insulin. Since Insulin is responsible for the conversion of glucose from food. Without Insulin, the body begins to break down fat into fuel. This process form acids in the blood called Ketones and lead to Diabetes Ketoacidosis. Main symptoms include urination, excessive thirst, weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath.
Diabetes Mellitus is mainly of 3 types:-
Type 1 Diabetes
In this type, the pancreas becomes unable to produce Insulin. This form may be referred as “Insulin Dependent Diabetes” or “Juvenile Diabetes” or “Early Onset Diabetes.” Signs of Diabetes include excessive thirst, nausea, urination, fatigue, hunger, blurred vision, headache, weight loss. It is less common.
Type 2 Diabetes
In this type of Diabetes body becomes unable to produce enough Insulin for proper function or body cells become resistant to react with insulin. This condition is called “ Insulin Resistance .” This develops mainly due to lifestyle factors and genetics. Type 2 Diabetes symptoms are excessive hunger, poor wound healing, frequent urination, blurred vision, weight gain or weight loss. People who are overweight or have obesity are more prone to get this diabetes. This is more common than Type 1 Diabetes.
This type of Diabetes develops in women during pregnancy. Sometimes a woman in pregnancy time has more sugar in blood and body do not produce enough insulin to transport all glucose into cells, which results in high glucose level in the body. It may disappear after pregnancy or might lead to Diabetes Mellitus. A woman should follow special Gestational diabetes diet during pregnancy to cure it and for proper nutrition. Here are some special diet tips to cure this Diabetes:
- Limit the intake of carbs and spread this throughout the day. Make your meal and snack time balanced.
- Don’t skip the food. Be consistent about eating. Blood sugar will remain more stable if your food is distributed evenly throughout the day and every day.
- Consume healthy breakfast. Blood sugar level can go high easily in the morning. So don’t eat carbohydrate in the morning, have protein diet like eggs, nuts, peanut butter, cheese and avoid fruits and juices as well.
- Include high fiber foods like fresh fruits and veggies, whole grain bread, cereal, dried peas, beans and legumes.
- Avoid sugary substances like fruit juices, flavored tea, soda, flavored water.
- Milk has a high amount of lactose. So limit the intake of milk and find an alternative of calcium for the body.
A person sometimes has Hyperglycemia; this is the condition in which quantity of glucose in the blood is too high. This is because body either does not produce enough Insulin or has cells that do not respond properly to Insulin. This causes too much glucose in blood and passes out through urine from the blood.
Sometimes a person develops high blood sugar level in blood than normal but not that high to diagnose as Diabetes Mellitus. This stage is called prediabetes.
Tests to Determine Diabetes in Blood
There are mainly 3 test to determine Diabetes in blood.
- A1C Test
- The FPG ( Fasting Plasma Glucose) Test
- The OGTT ( Oral Glucose Tolerance Test)
Ayurvedic Treatment for this disorder is based on a complete change in lifestyle of a person. Along with Diabetes medications and diet, the patient is advised to lead a healthy lifestyle. Changes in diet and lifestyle rejuvenate the body cells and tissues allowing them to produce enough Insulin. Here are some suggestions you can follow to cure Diabetes:-
Healthy Eating Habits For Diabetic
- Limit intake of sugary substances
- Eat in smaller portions throughout the day
- Be careful about consumption of carbohydrates
- Eat variety of whole grain and fresh veggies every day
- Consume less fat
- Avoid alcohol
- Use less salt
- Ideal food ratio of diabetic diet is 60% veggies+30% proteins+10% carbohydrates.
Healthy Lifestyle Habits
- Avoid daytime sleeping
- Start doing exercise, such as brisk walking in the morning as well as in the evening for 30 to 40 mins.
- Maintain healthy weight
- Pay attention to your BP, Cholesterol, and feet.
Healthy Diabetic Meal Plan / Diabetic Diet Plan.
- A diabetic should avoid eating rice, potato, all purpose flour, wheat flour, deep fried foods, red meat, Sabu dana, sour and salty foods, whole yogurt, heavy spicy food, yams, fruits like mango, pineapple, grapes.
- A diabetic should eat protein rich food like chickpea, lentil, soya bean products, veggies like spinach, leafy green, bitter gourd, white pumpkin, bottle gourd, snake gourd, cereals like green millet, ragi, corn, barley, cheese and yogurt prepared by fat free milk, use garlic, onion, raw banana, black plum, apple, apricots, berries, carrots, citrus fruits.
Home Remedies to Cure Diabetes
- Mix ½ tsp turmeric powder + ½ tsp Indian gooseberry powder + ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds powder in half glass of water. Take this daily empty stomach in the morning.
- Mango leaves – Dry the mango leaves and grind to make powder. Mix 1 tsp dry mango powder in a glass of water and drink it daily to reduce high blood sugar level.
- Basil leaves – Add basil leaves in your diet. It contains potent antioxidants that relieve oxidative stress. By relieving this stress blood, sugar level comes to normal.
- Fig leaves – These have anti-diabetic properties. They are used to cure various diseases. Boil fig leaves in water and consumes them as tea. You can even chew leaves empty stomach every morning. These are very helpful in curing diabetes.
- Grape Seed extract – These are rich in vitamin E, flavonoids, linoleic acid. They are proven for the diabetes cure. Consume 300 mg grape seed extract daily to treat diabetes.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Take 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and add a pinch of salt to it. Mix it in a glass of water. Drink this before every large meal. This will control the rise in blood sugar level.
- Black Plum or Indian Black Berry – It helps in controlling blood sugar level because it contains anthocyanin, ellagic acid, hydrolyzable tannins, etc. It is a seasonal fruit. Consume it when it is available. It is very good for pancreas which secretes Insulin.
- Fenugreek seeds – It is very good to cure Diabetes, improve glucose tolerance and lower blood sugar. Soak 2 tsp fenugreek seeds overnight. Next morning drink these along with water. It initiates the secretion of Insulin. It is very high in fiber so slow down the absorption of carbohydrates and sugar.
- Alfalfa – It is an amazing remedy for blood sugar level. Take 1 tsp of Alfalfa seeds daily or sprinkle them on every meal you eat. You can also take them as capsules.