Ayurvedic Treatment only includes Ayurvedic medicines, massages and Yoga; it does not use surgical methods, unlike western medicinal system. Medicines are composed purely of herbs, which are highly nutritive with lots of healing properties. Today Ayurvedic treatment is growing gradually along with Homeopathy, Unani Tibb and Western medicines and encouraged an as inexpensive alternative.
These medicines comparatively do not have any side effects. Every herb is unique with its medicinal benefits with pleasant odour and flavour. They work efficiently against various infections and diseases followed by quick recovery. Ayurvedic medicines are theoretical substances which promise to keep life surely. These medicines work for both external and internal symptoms rather than curing outer signs. They focus on the whole system not only on a particular organ. These medicines are derived mainly from roots, leaves, fruits, bark or seeds such as cardamom cinnamon. Animal products like milk, gallstones and bones are used in various treatments. In addition, fats are prescribed both for consumption and for external use. Minerals are also consumed like sulphur, arsenic, lead, copper sulphate and gold.
Forms of Ayurvedic Medicines
There are 2 forms of medicines based on the mode of their application.
Internal application – It is used for any internal consumption of medicines. These come in the form of encapsulated herbs, fresh herbs, flower essence and essential oil dilutions. Sometimes when the curative diseases involve organs like heart, lungs, liver, kidney etc. the media is usually water, honey, oil, ghee and milk.
External applications – The externally applied medicines are mainly in the form of essential oil blends, ointments, balms, lotions, massage oils, pastes or body wraps. External application used mainly to cure joints problems, dizziness, muscular problems, wounds, cuts and other skin diseases.
Types of Medicines Based on Composition
1. According to Origin
- Herbal medicines- These medicines are prepared by using medicinal plants.
- Mineral medicines- These medicines are formulated by using heavy metals like mercury, arsenic, sulphur, silver, gold etc.
- Herbo-mineral combined medicines
2. According to Preparation
There are 8 ways to diagnose illness and are:
- Internal medicines – It focuses on bio-elemental balance and imbalance, metabolism functions and digestions.
- Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat
- Psychology and psychiatry – it includes spirituality.
- Toxicology – it focuses on poisons ranging from insect bites to heavy metal, plants and includes a medical jurisprudence role in which practitioner’s address cause of injury, death and other medical ethics.
- Rejuvenation/ Geriatrics and Virilification/ Sexology
- PREVENTIVE APPROACH
This Approach seeks to create & maintain health & longevity within the individual. It is emphasising defining each person’s Prakruti (constitution) & creating daily periodic regimens to support that Prakruti & keep it in balance. These health routine focus on everything from diet & exercise to herbal therapies, massages, meditation & social behaviour & positive relationships.
- CURATIVE MEDICINE/ APPROACH
These treatments seek to heal on illness, which may be achieved by one or more of the following of approaches:
- Internal measures including detoxification (shodhana) & methods to improve the quality of life via palliative care (shamana).
- External measures including oil treatments (snehana), steam therapy using herbal steam (swedana ) & use of herbal paste.
- Surgical methods including removal of tissues, organs & harmful growth.
- Mental and spiritual therapies called Daivya Chikitsa.
- Herbal measures including the use of various herbal & trace metal formulations (Rasa Shastra ).
Ayurvedic treatment is preventive and curative in nature. At the same time, herbal remedies are self-contained and nutritive, rendering them harmless and non-toxic. This gives a constructive approach against destructive forces.
Ayurvedic remedies and herbs used in remedies including yoga or meditation have also been shown to be helpful as a home remedy for skin problems like acne, relieving chronic constipation, fighting chronic fatigue syndrome, reducing pain and lowering belly fat.
Ayurvedic medicines can be helpful to treat inflammatory, hormonal, digestive and autoimmune conditions including:
- High B P
- Alzheimer’s disease
All these diseases can be cured with Ayurvedic medicines and remedies without any side effect. The primary goal of Ayurveda is always to help people live long, healthy and balanced lives without the need for prescribed drugs, complicated surgeries or any other painful suffering.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Treatment
The Ayurvedic herbs are holistic in nature where they help in proper engrossment and results in good digestion. The Ayurvedic herbs are believed to be rejuvenating power for both mentally and spiritually rather to act like essential minerals like vitamins and proteins. These herbal medicines depends on multiple factors like gender, age, bio-elemental tendencies, strength of body tissues and level of toxins in the body so are specific for different individual. Ayurvedic food can also be taken as an appetizer. There are various cases of diabetes, high blood pressure, various inflammations, gynecology, toxicology that have effective cure in Ayurveda and do not have any side effects.
1.Prevention of Diabetes – There are millions of people who have diabetes. Diabetes; also known as Diabetes Mellitus originated by our modern lifestyles, genetically received factors, obesity and physical activity. It is very dangerous and result in to heart attack, foot ulcers, eye damage and kidney failure. Ayurveda starts its treatment from where it borns – our life style. Lifestyle and diet changes transform the body cells and stimulate them to produce insulin. Along with diet, meditation is also recommended to lead a healthy lifestyle. The medicines which are regulated are meant to keep brain in right manner of functioning. The best supplements to cure diabetes must have Curcumin, Thistle, Ginseng, Fenugreek, Psyllium, Cinnamon, Aloe Vera, Basil etc.
2. Treatment of Cancer – Treatment of cancer is deeply a holistic approach. Treatment does not focus only on the infected area but focus on the whole system. It includes blood cleansing herbs, along with detoxifying diet. Circulation stimulant herbs are prescribed to promote circulation and to increase the efficient elimination of toxins.
3. Improve Hypertension – Hypertension commonly known as high blood pressure is a medical condition which can cause a stroke, heart failure, heart attack, coronary heart disease, kidney failure and other chronic health issues. Severe headaches, nausea, vomiting, vision change, are common symptoms of high blood pressure. The first treatment of high BP start from finding out the real reason of this mental condition. Treatment includes yoga, meditation, pranayama and smoking should also be avoided because it enhance the blood rate. The patient can start eating lemon, garlic, parsley, watermelon, Indian gooseberry, skim milk etc. Exercise plays most important role in lowering high BP along with exercise, brisk walking, jogging, swimming are also essential alternatives. Universally laughter is the best medicine.
4. Lower Stress and Anxiety – There is a strong link between poor health and high stress level. Stress is the basic reason for any disease. There are different techniques in Ayurveda to reduce anxiety and depression and to restore hormonal balance. Meditation, yoga, pranayama and herbal treatments are also very effective.
5. Recover from Injuries and Illness – Inflammation can also give rise to many diseases. Ayurveda believes that poor diet, bad digestion, not enough rest and sleep, insufficient air can cause oxidative stress and inflammation. Ayurvedic treatment can help in lowering pain, swelling, improve blood flow and fight inflammatory conditions like arthritis. Ayurveda is very helpful in detoxing the body using different herbs, teas, healthy foods.
6. Encouraged Nutritious Diet – Ayurveda advises mostly plant based food filled with a variety of real whole food. Every person have different individuality so there are various fresh herbs according to person’s bio-elemental energy.
7. Building Immunity – In traditional Ayurvedic system multitude of herbs, vitamins and proteins are mixed together, and these combos or tonics are believed to help for strengthening the body’s defence system and to keep digestive system so strong so that disease has less chances of settling in.
8. Getting Better – Ayurvedic practitioners along with tonic also gives herbs to reduce symptoms of illness. There are so many things like exercise, small breaks to breath (in and out), getting sun rays and eating a healthier or illness specific food all work together to improve overall health of the person, it’s about taking disease out of the body not just curing symptoms.
9. Cleansing the Body – When a person is suffering from poor health or even poor happiness, Ayurvedic medicines also inspires a good cleansing of inside for improved overall health. When body is operated with oils and massage therapies, all help to get the body moving from tissue level to intestinal level. Then impurities get released from system. Panchakarma is the best technique for detoxify body properly. A cleansed inside also good spiritually along with physiologically.
10. Achieving Overall Balance – It is one of the greatest benefits of Ayurvedic medicines that it regulates whole body rather than a specific organ. When someone is disturbed emotionally it will affect that person physically so Ayurveda improves person’s health and make emotionally, physically and spiritually balanced.
11. Unique Treatment – unlike other medical science Ayurveda treats a person holistically. It does not cure any individual by giving tablets but put lots of pressure on food regimen, lifestyle, mental and spiritually and then regulate that person. Ayurveda has not limited itself to making a line of treatment but depends on several factors like:
- The state of individual’s bio-elemental
- The state of tissues
- The state of excreta
- The state of elements
- The state of channels
- State of mind
- Behavioural signs
- Primary and secondary symptoms
- And more….
The extent of damage of these factors can be different for different patients even on having the same disease. So Ayurveda always targets to balance these factors and restore the damaged factors. Ayurvedic treatment varies from person to person so applied according to it.
12. Works on All Levels – Ayurveda considers a human as a combination of body, mind and soul. So patient’s representation, attitude and regulation are often responsible for causing person’ health problems. Even thousands of years ago Ayurveda understood that negative and positive both the thoughts can affect mind and physiology. So from always Yoga, meditation and attention towards individuality are integral parts of treatment.
13. Helps to Cure Insomnia – Habits, like taking dinner late at night, having caffeine before bedtime, watching late night tv, staring at a phone, eating a spicy and heavy meal in dinner can disturb sleep and irritate nervous system to large extent. But Ayurveda can help to get peaceful sleep with simple tips like rubbing coconut oil on the scalp, drinking warm almond milk can inspire peaceful sleep and cure insomnia.