Thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland located in front of the neck. It secretes hormones that control energy consumption by the body. When this hormonal level becomes imbalanced, it causes various problems. When this hormone level becomes too low or too high, you may experience various symptoms. When too much thyroid hormone is secreted, it’s called Hyperthyroidism, and too low hormonal secretion is known as Hypothyroidism.Thyroid disorder symptoms
Thyroid Disorder Symptoms
- Weight Loss or Weight Gain – This is very common sign of thyroid disorder. When there is a low level of thyroid hormone, you gain weight, and on having high secretion of the hormone, there is weight loss.
- Low energy and Mood swings – Thyroid disorder affect your energy level significantly. Hypothyroidism condition makes you feel tired, sluggish and depressed. Whereas Hyperthyroidism causes you anxiety, sleeping problems, restlessness and irritation.
- Neck swelling – An enlargement or swelling is visible when the thyroid is infected. A goitre may be seen because of Hyperthyroidism or Hypothyroidism. Thyroid cancer or nodule may also cause neck swelling.
- Heart rate fluctuations – When there is abnormal thyroid secretion heart rate also get affected. Low hormonal secretion can result in slower heart rate, and too much secretion can cause the heart rate to speed up.
- Hair Loss – Imbalanced thyroid hormone secretion either high or low secretion cause you hair loss. But when it is treated hairs will grow back.
- Cold hands and feet.
- Cracked and dry skin
Causes of Imbalanced Hormonal Secretion
Hyperthyroidism – This condition occurs due to overproduction of thyroid hormone. But this can happen due to several causes such as:
- Due to Graves disease, in which too much hormone secretion occurs.
- Pituitary gland malfunction or cancer like uncontrolled growth of cells in the thyroid gland. This condition results in Hyperthyroidism.
- Toxic Adenomas – Sometimes nodule develops in the thyroid gland and begins to secrete thyroid hormone, which disrupts the chemical balance of the body. Some goitre may contain several of these nodules.
- Subacute Thyroiditis – Inflammation of thyroid which causes the gland to secrete excess hormone gives temporary. Hyperthyroidism. It lasts for few weeks but persists for months.
Hypothyroidism – It is less production of thyroid hormone. Since body’s energy production needs a certain amount of thyroid hormones, a decrease in hormone production leads to lower energy levels. This condition occurs due to various causes
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis – It is an autoimmune disorder. In this body attacks thyroid tissues. The tissues ultimately die and stop production of hormones.
- Removal of the thyroid gland – The thyroid gland may have surgically removed or chemically destroyed.
- Lithium – This drug may implicate as a cause of Hypothyroidism.
- Excess iodide – Exposure to a high amount of iodide by cold and sinus medicines, heart medications may develop the greater risk of getting Hypothyroidism if you have this disease in the past.
Thyroid cancer is rare but may occur in 5% of thyroid nodules. People who have got radiation treatment for neck or head are more prone to develop this diseases than normal people. Thyroid cancer is a disease when unusual cells begin to overgrow in your thyroid gland. This is a very uncommon disease.
There are 4 types of thyroid cancer
- Papillary or mixed papillary or follicular thyroid cancer
- Follicular or Hurthle cell thyroid cancer
- Medullary Thyroid cancer
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer
The exact cause is still unknown. But like other cases of cancer DNA might play a role in this case. People who had exposure to radiations previously is more likely to have thyroid cancer.
- You may have a constant cough that is not as cold.
- You may have enlargement or swelling in the neck. This is most common to find out thyroid cancer.
- There may be trouble in swallowing food.
- There may b trouble in breathing.
- You may have pain in the neck and seldom in ears.
- Your voice may be hoarse.
These nodules are solid or fluid filled lumps form within your thyroid. Most thyroid nodules are not serious and do not cause any sign until unless they are seen or felt. In some cases, thyroid nodule produces extra thyroxine. A few thyroid nodules are cancerous. Most cancerous nodules are small, slow growing but some cancerous thyroid nodules are large, rapidly growing and firm. Later one is a rare case.
- Multinodular goitre – Goitre word is used to describe any enlargement of the thyroid gland. This might be due to iodine deficiency. Lack of iodine can cause this thyroid gland to develop thyroid nodules.
- Overgrowth of thyroid gland tissues – This is not cancerous but may cause problems due to its large size.
- Thyroiditis – This is inflammation of thyroid gland which results in thyroid nodule, and this disorder is known as Hashimoto’s disease.
- Thyroid cancer – Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of cells in the thyroid gland. Usually, chances of having thyroid cancer are less, but if family history has a thyroid, then you are at risk of having a thyroid nodule.
Home remedies Thyroid disorder
- Increase consumption of Iodine – Intake of organic iodine do wonder in the case of the thyroid. Organic iodine sources are asparagus, onion, oats, pineapple, tomatoes, garlic and strawberries.
- Agnus Castus – This herb is beneficial for cure thyroid diseases. This herb is beneficial for pituitary gland therefore useful in the thyroid. So include this herb in your daily diet to get free from suffering.
- Ginger – is a good source of zinc, magnesium and potassium and have strong anti inflammatory properties to improve thyroid functions.
Add fresh ginger slices to soups and dishes.
Consume 2 3 cups of ginger tea on a daily basis. Add some ginger slices to boiling water. Steep for 5 mins. For more taste add honey to this herbal tea.
- Apple cider vinegar – It is helpful in detoxification, alkaline balance and for weight loss. Add 2 tbsp of organic apple cider to warm water. Mix a little bit of honey and drink this solution daily for better results.
- Fruits and vegetables – Thyroid suffering people should add fruits and vegetables to diet. It ‘s nice to include cheese, potatoes for starch, lentils, peas and nuts to diet.
- Coconut oil – This oil contains fatty acids which help to improve thyroid functioning. It also boosts energy and improves metabolism. Use coconut oil for cooking purpose or add 2 tbsp of coconut oil to milk and drink this milk every morning with your breakfast.