Mustard is used in cooking for many years. It is used as a spice as well as mustard oil. It is a beneficial herb. The mustard plant grows mostly in temperate regions. Mustard seeds both white and yellow are of same size, globular, odorless and pungent in taste. Both seeds contain almost same constituents about 30% to 40% vegetable oil, a trace amount of proteins and an active enzyme Myrosin. Mustard is used in 3 forms, as seeds, as mustard oil, and as a paste. The mustard seed contains no cholesterol, has only small amount of vegetable fat, and about 25% of protein. Every part of the mustard plant is beneficial for health issues. The mustard leaf contains calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin B. It is a good source of vitamin A, magnesium and dietary fiber. Due to the presence of various minerals and nutrients mustard has multiple health benefits. It provides you relief from muscular pain, psoriasis, ringworm, contact dermatitis, and respiratory disorders.
Mustard Health Benefits
Mustard plant parts have a phenolic group which provides various health benefits. Mustard is tested the cure for treating cancer, diabetes, detoxification, and also has poison repelling qualities. It also helps to maintain cardiac health, enhance healthy skin and hairs, reduce cholesterol.
- Mustard For Skin – Mustard seeds acts as natural scrubber which exfoliates dead skin cells. Just mix lavender or rose essential oil and apply on skin. It also contains a high amount of vitamin A, C, and K; these together act as antioxidants. Also, these seeds contain a good amount of sulfur which gives it antifungal properties and cures skin from various infections. The phytochemicals present in seeds from our cells from free radical damage.
- Mustard For Lowering Cholesterol – Mustard leaves have an amazing cholesterol-lowering ability. It has high ability to bind bile acid in the digestive tract which promotes easy excretion of these acids from the body. Bile acids are made up of cholesterol therefore by eliminating bile acids it helps to reduce cholesterol.
- Mustard For Respiratory Disorders – Mustard seeds are very effective to cure respiratory related problems. It is one of the good sources of selenium which possesses anti-inflammatory properties and efficient to reduce the severity of Asthma. Mustard seed is useful decongestant and expectorant which helps to clear mucus in the air passage. During asthma attack massage with the mixture of mustard oil and camphor, it facilitates the natural breathing by breaking down phlegm.
- Mustard For Cancer – Seeds of the mustard plant contains rich amount of phytonutrient called Glucosinolates which is very effective to cure various cancers like bladder cancer, cervical cancer, and colon cancer. Glucosinolates break down to form isothiocyanate with the help of myrosinase enzyme present in mustard. These 2 components have anticancer properties which resist the cancer cell growth.
- Mustard For Psoriasis – Psoriasis is a very critical inflammatory autoimmune disorder. Mustard seeds are very useful to treat this disease. The seeds help to initiate the activities of suitable enzymes such as superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase and catalase which enhance the protective and healing action of this disease.