GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a digestive dysfunction in which lower esophageal sphincter (LES) the ring of muscle between esophagus and stomach is affected. Stomach and esophagus combined to form gastroesophagus. So, therefore, gastroesophageal reflux is the flow back of stomach’s material into an esophagus. When a person eats food, it passes through the esophagus to the stomach. LES or lower esophageal sphincter opens up to allow food to go into stomach and close to prevent backflow. Gastroesophageal reflux happens when LES or Lower esophageal sphincter is weak or relaxes oddly, which brings about the backflow of food into the esophagus.
Factors which can affect GERD
- A hiatal hernia weakens the LES and increases the risks for GERD.
- Foods such as beverages, chocolates, peppermint, fatty foods, alcohol may cause you GERD or heartburn.
- Obesity and pregnancy may also develop the risk of GERD.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD Symptoms or Acid Reflux Symptoms
- Burning sensation in the chest but may reach to the throat and gives sore taste.
- Chest pain or pain in upper abdomen
- Difficult in swallowing
- Dry cough
- Sore throat
- Regurgitation of food or sour liquid
- Lump sensation in throat
- Bad breath
- Respiratory problems
- In case of being obese or pregnant, increased pressure on the abdomen may lead to GERD.
- Some medicines like to cure asthma, high blood pressure, few painkillers may cause GERD.
- Smoking or inhaling secondhand smoke.
- A Hiatal hernia may cause GERD.
- Complications of GERD
- Ulcers and strictures of esophagus
- Barrett’s esophagus
- A cough and asthma
- Throat and laryngeal inflammation
- Lung inflammation and infection
GERD Treatment or GERD Home Remedies
- Apple Cider Vinegar – It is one of the best home remedies to treat GERD. It promotes healthy digestion and balance acid production in the stomach.
How to use – mix 1 to 2 tbsp of organic raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water. Drink it prior 20 to 30 mins of eating a meal. Repeat this remedy for few months to get sustain results.
- Aloe Vera Juice – It has multiple healing and anti-inflammatory properties which help to soothe inflammation in the stomach and esophagus.
How to use – Just drink one-quarter cup of aloe vera juice about 20 mins before eating food.
- Yellow Mustard – It is another one of the effective home remedies for curing acid reflux. It helps to neutralize stomach acid. The vinegar content present in food is a weak acid which in turns lowers the pH of stomach acid.
How to use – When you feel acid reflux eat 1 tsp of plain yellow mustard for quick relief. If it feels too strong, drink a glass of water along with it.
- Fennel Seeds – Fennel is highly effective for improving digestion and resisting stomach spasm. It contains anethole that is useful to relax spasms in the gastrointestinal tract and has anti-inflammatory effects.
How to use – Just chew ½ tbsp of fennel seeds after eating food.
You can boil 1 tbsp of fennel seeds in a glass of water. Steep it for about 10 mins and filter this. Drink it 2 3 times a day for few days.
- Baking Soda – It is also known as sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda is a natural antacid which means it neutralizes acid quickly. It gives instant relief from heartburn which is the result of acid reflux.
How to use – Mix ½ to 1 tsp of baking soda in a cup of water. Drink it instantly for relief.