Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) or polycystic ovarian disease is a very common problem among girls of reproductive age. It causes hormonal imbalance and metabolic disorder in females. The hormonal imbalance creates problems to ovaries. Women with PCOS grow multiple cysts on their ovaries, that is why called polycystic ovarian syndrome. The ovaries make the egg that releases each month as a part of a healthy menstrual cycle. Women if suffering from PCOS then the egg may not develop or may not be released during ovulation. This causes irregularity in monthly menstrual cycles, and hormones get imbalanced. This hormonal imbalance further creates multiple health problems in women which can be taken as symptoms of PCOS. The exact PCOS cause is unknown.
Factors Affecting PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
- Heredity – Some genes may affect the ovarian functions.
- Excess Androgen – The ovaries may produce a high level of androgen which can lead to hirsutism and acne.
- Low-Grade Inflammation – Women with PCOS have a type of low-grade inflammation that stimulate polycystic ovaries to produce androgen which can lead to heart and blood vessels problems.
- Excess Insulin – Insulin is a hormone which is produced by the pancreas. It is required to use up sugar as an energy source. If cells become resistant to insulin, the level of insulin increases which in turns increase the androgen production. This increased level of androgen may cause difficulty in ovulation.
- There are various symptoms to identify that it is PCOS. These symptoms develop over time to appear. Few are :
Irregular Periods– Infrequent or prolonged periods are most common symptoms of the polycystic ovarian syndrome. You might have 9 periods in the whole year having 35 days in each menstrual cycle with heavy bleeding.
High Level Of Androgen – Increased the level of the male hormone may result in some physical signs in women such as excess facial and body hairs (hirsutism) and acne or male style baldness.
Polycystic Ovaries – Ovaries might get enlarged, and certain follicles surround the eggs. That is why ovaries might not function properly.
Weight gain or weight loss is difficult.
Complications Caused By PCOS ( Polycystic ovarian syndrome)
- Pelvic pain
- Decrease in breast size
- Deeper voice
- Insulin Resistance
- High blood pressure
- High testosterone level
- Mood swings
- Low sex drive
PCOS Natural Treatment
- Chasteberry – This is also known as vitex and is very famous for treat polycystic ovarian syndrome and also cure infertility due to the hormonal imbalance. It is a great hormone balancing herb and effective for menstrual problems.
How to use – Boil a cup of water and mix 1 tsp of fresh or dried chasteberry. Steep it for about 10 mins. Filter and drink this tea every day for few weeks or months until you get relief.
- Fenugreek – It helps to promote glucose metabolism in the body and improves insulin resistance. All this helps to create hormonal balance. It may also help to lower cholesterol, promotes weight loss and enhance healthy heart functioning.
How to use – Soak 3 tsp fenugreek seeds overnight. Take 1 tsp of soaked seeds with some honey every morning empty stomach. Take this dose 10 mins before lunch and dinner. Do this remedy daily every day for few weeks for sustain results.
- Holy Basil – Basil contains anti-androgenic properties which help to cure polycystic ovarian syndrome symptoms. It also helps to manage insulin level and promotes weight loss. Basil is an effective stress reliever and has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
How to use – Consume 10 to 12 holy basil leaves daily in the morning, or you can also drink basil tea few times a day.
- Aloe Vera Juice – Aloe vera has constituents which help to reduce blood cholesterol level which in turn helps to restore ovarian steroid status. This has a positive effect on ovarian function, and PCOS symptoms get relieved.
How to use – Drink a glass of aloe vera juice every morning empty stomach. Do this daily to get relieved.
- Licorice – Licorice root helps to reduce serum testosterone in women suffering from PCOS. It also helps to cure hirsutism. Licorice root promotes ovulation and promotes liver detoxification. The liver removes more toxin and excess hormone and maintains hormonal balance.
How to use – Mix 1 tsp of dried licorice root in a cup of boiling water. Steep it for 15 mins and strain it. Drink this tea 2 to 3 times daily for few weeks.
- Flax seeds – Flax seeds help to cure PCOS by reducing androgen levels. It contains lignans that increase the production of sex hormones binding globulin that binds testosterone in the blood. Flax seeds are high in fiber and help to slow down glucose metabolism and lower cholesterol levels. It also contains omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation and risks of getting heart diseases.
How to use – Mix 1 or 2 tbsp of freshly ground flaxseeds in a glass of water. Drink this daily for few months until you are relieved.