Kidney stones or Nephrolithiasis or Renal Lithiasis are formed due to a buildup of minerals and salts inside the kidney. Kidney stones can be as small as sugar granule or as big as a golf ball. Kidney stones can be formed due to many causes or affect any part of the urinary tract. The kidney is a filter for blood to remove waste from the body and to make urine. If the body gets dehydrated, urine becomes more and more concentrated which facilitate the minerals to stick together and form stones. Small sized kidney stones can pass through urine, but large sized stones get stuck in the ureter and cause pain. One has to take painkillers and drink loads of water to pass kidney stones.
What Causes Kidney Stones?
Several factors are responsible for the formation of kidney stone. Kidney stones form when more crystals forming substances are present in urine.
- Dehydration – This is the main factor which causes a kidney stone. If a person drinks less water, there will be not enough water to dilute uric acid. As a result, urine becomes more acidic. This acidic environment unintentionally helps to create kidney stone.
- Heredity – Some people have such body which is prone to form a kidney stone, this is due to heredity. The kidney stones are built of calcium, due to the presence of high calcium content in urine. This predisposition of high calcium content in urine may pass from generation to generation.
- Location – Sometimes where a person lives, that location makes it more likely to form kidney stones. The hot or warm weather of place and insufficient drinking water, there two conditions make the environment very easy to form a kidney stone.
Kidney Stone Symptoms
Kidney stone if present will not show any symptoms until it moves from kidney to ureter, a tube which connects kidney and bladder.
- Severe pain inside and back, below ribs
- Pain in lower abdomen
- Irregular Pain and fluctuates in intensity
- Pain while urinating
- Blood in urine
- Pink, red or brown colored urine
- Cloudy or foul-smelling urine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Urge to urinate even after discharge of urine
- Fever and chills
- Urinate in small amounts
- White blood cells or pus in urine
- Burning sensation during urination
Types of Kidney Stones
If the type of kidney stone is known, there are chances to reduce risks of getting kidney stone for now and future.
- Calcium Stones – mostly kidney stones are formed of calcium, in the form of calcium oxalate. Oxalate naturally formed in liver daily and also present in food. Some fruits, vegetables, nuts, and chocolates have oxalate as content. Calcium stone may also occur as calcium phosphate.
- Struvite Stones – These stones are formed as a result of some infections in the urinary tract. These type of stones can grow quickly and may become large sized. It may show some symptoms.
- Uric Acid Stones – These type of stones found in people who do not drink enough water or lose more water. People who drink high protein diet may develop this kind of stone.
- Cystine Stone – People with hereditary disorders are prone to develop these type of stones. These disorders may cause the body to excrete too much amino acids.
Diet and Lifestyle Habits to Follow
- Avoid consumption of tea, coffee, alcohol, cold drinks, spinach, pickle, chocolates.
- Avoid sugary substances, heavy and dry foods.
- Increase consumption of fluids like water, juice, soups and lime water.
- Drink at least 2 to 3 liters water every day.
- Include in diet barley, horse gram, ginger and brown rice.
- Avoid resisting urge to urinate.
Kidney Stone Treatment or Kidney Stone Home Remedies
- Pomegranate – It is beneficial fruit to cure kidney stones. Eat seeds or drink the juice of pomegranate, both help to prevent kidney stone formation. This fruit is full of antioxidants, so consuming its seeds or juice on a regular basis will help to cure kidney stones and keep kidney healthy.
- Basil – Basil enhance fluid, mineral and uric acid balance in the kidney. Intake basil tea or its juice with honey few times a day for 2 3 weeks, it will help to eliminate stone from the body. Steep 5 6 basil leaves in hot water for 10 mins, filter and add 1 tbsp of honey to it. Drink it to get relief from a kidney stone.
- Radish – It is tried and tested a home remedy for curing kidney stones. Soak a radish overnight and filter it in the morning. Drink this water twice a day for several days to get relief. You can also mix its juice in a cup of water. Drink this once a day to get the cure.
- Coconut Water – Along with being health drink in summers, it is also useful to cure kidney stones. Drinking coconut water helps in breaking and flushing kidney stone out of the body. It also helps to relieve burning sensation while urination.
- Watermelon – It is loaded with water and has potassium in it. Watermelons help to maintain the acid level in urine. So it helps to clean kidney and eliminate stone out of the body.
- Red Apples – These are prone to oxidation, that is why it’s very effective in dissolving kidney stones. Extract apple juice by crushing it. Drink its juice freshly without any added ingredient. Red apple also helps to prevent further formation of kidney stones.
- Kidney Beans – This bean is full of potassium which is tested to diminish symptoms of kidney stones and also resist its reappearance in the kidney. Soak kidney beans overnight and boil in water. Cool and filter them. Drink the water throughout the day. Repeat this remedy every day for few weeks to get the cure.
- Onion Decoction – This is full of antioxidants which in turn help to prevent crystallization and further growth of kidney stone. Onion decoction can be made by boiling 2 3 onions in a glass of water for about 15 mins. Filter it and add sugar to it. Drink this thrice a day to see results.
- Lemon Juice With Olive Oil – This home remedy is declared to be useful in breaking kidney stones and eliminate them out of the body. Lemon contains citric acid which is proven to dissolve the stones while olive oil acts as a lubricant. Mix ¼ cup of each lemon juice and olive oil, put them in 240 ml of water. Drink this solution 2 3 times a day for 1 2 weeks to get relief.
- Water – This is an essential remedy. It is crucial to drink water if you have a kidney stone. Since dehydration can be a reason of developing a kidney stone, drink loads of water as much as you can. It will keep you hydrated and also flush out the minerals and toxins which cause the formation of kidney stone. More water in the body will also help in flushing out the stone out of the body.