Back Pain or Backache is a universal problem; a person suffers from now or later. It might be a result of various causes. According to Ayurveda, Airy bio-element is responsible for the back pain. Human back is structured by multiple muscles, ligaments, tendons, discs( the segment of our spine are cushioned with cartilages like pends are called disc) and bones. Any problem occurs in any of these components will cause you a backache. The back pain causes can be various such as accidents, muscle strains, sports injuries, weight lifting more than ability, etc.
Back strain can be the cause of back pain. It can cause slow or chronic pain in the back.
What is low back strain – various muscles and ligaments hold the bones of spinal cord together. You often stretch your muscle, but if you stretch too far, these muscles could become weak and ultimately will not be able to hold these bones together in appropriate position. As a result, the spinal cord becomes less stable and cause you a backache or back pain. Back strain alone cannot be the reason of a backache there are also other factors
Causes of Back Strain
- Lifting weight more than ability
- Extreme physical exertion
- Stretching muscles repeatedly
Backache or Back Pain Causes
There may be various factors which can cause you back pain.
- Slipped Disc
- Pinched Nerves
- Cancer of Spine – a tumor located in the spine may cause back pain by pressing against nerves.
- Infections like a pelvic inflammatory disease in females, bladder or kidney infection may also lead to back pain.
- Everyday activities like bending awkwardly, pushing or pulling something, lifting or carrying too much weight, bending down for long periods, muscle tension, overstretching, etc. may also cause back pain.
Symptoms Of Back Pain or Backache
- Continuous aching or stiffness in the upper back or lower back.
- Chronic pain in middle and lower back especially after sitting or standing for an extended period of time.
- Feel difficulty while standing straight or going from standing to sitting.
- Muscle spasm and stiffness in lower back, pelvis, and hips.
- Sharp and localized pain in neck, upper back and lower back especially after carrying something
- Back pain that starts from lower back to hips and extends to thighs and knees to foot.
Back pain Remedies or Treatment For Back Pain
There are various backache remedies which are effective and cure the pain. Since according to Ayurveda, the airy element is responsible for a backache, so apply backache treatment which helps to reduce the effect of airy bio-element or Vata dosha. For this do not consume pungent foods, cold eatables. Stay warm as much as you can. Perform Anuloma Viloma daily. Other than these there are more remedies described below.
- Epsom Salt Bath – It is one of the effective home remedies. Epsom salt has magnesium and sulphate present in it. Sometimes a person has magnesium deficiency which affects nerves, muscles, and functioning of enzymes, which results in back pain and swelling in back. When you take this bath along with enhancing magnesium level Epsom salt draws out the toxins and excess fluids from the body. But people suffering from heart diseases, high blood pressure or diabetes do not take this bath.
- Massage – Gently massage on stiff muscle with lukewarm herbal oil. This is an effective way to loosen up muscle and relieve pain.
- Food Habits – Food choice is important in relieving pain. Some foods reduce the pain and some increase it. So avoid a lemon, rice, curd until the pain is gone. Always eat easily digestible foods. Consume more calcium foods to make spine strong. Spend some time in sunlight to absorb vitamin D.
- Ginger – Ginger contains anti inflammatory properties which are beneficial in curing back pain. Some raw ginger paste mixed with eucalyptus oil on the painful area. You can also drink ginger tea to get relief. Drink at least for 2 to 3 times a day.
- Garlic and Garlic Oil – These are also very good for curing back pain. Just eat 2 to 3 garlic cloves every morning, empty stomach. You can also massage affected area with garlic oil daily to get relief.
- Camphor in Coconut Oil – Mix camphor in coconut oil and bring to oil. Cool it and keep it in a clean bottle. Massage with this oil twice a week before going to sleep to get relax from pain.
- Mustard Oil – Massage your back with gently warm mustard oil an hour before taking a bath. Take hot water bath after doing massage.
- Milk, Turmeric, Honey – Mix a pinch of turmeric in a glass of warm milk and also add few drops of honey. This is the very effective cure for back pain. Drink milk like this on a regular basis. This will give cure not only to backache but also from a cough and cold.