Jaundice or Icterus is a condition of an appearance of yellow coloration on skin and white part of eyes. It occurs because of the presence of bilirubin substance. Bilirubin is a yellow colored chemical which is a waste material. Bilirubin is yellow chemical in hemoglobin, the substance which is a carrier of oxygen through the body. When the RBC’s (red blood cells) break down, the body builds new blood cells to replace old ones. It remains in blood after removal of iron from hemoglobin in red blood cells. When the level of the bilirubin increases in the blood stream, it starts leaking out into surrounding tissues, making them yellow colored. The yellow color of the skin and sclerae varies according to the amount present of bilirubin in the blood stream. Bilirubin level, if become too high the yellow coloration of skin and white part of eyes converted to brown. In the human body, the liver is responsible for the filtration of waste material and also filtration of bilirubin from the blood. Once bilirubin is present in liver, it is secreted by in bile and then excreted.
According to Ayurveda, aggravation of Pitta Bio element can cause you jaundice. Increased consumption of oily, spicy, sour, salty, alkaline and too hot food can cause Pitta aggravation. The aggravated Pitta impair blood, and muscle tissues of the liver lead to blockage in channels of the liver. This results into thrown back of bile in the blood which leads to discoloration of skin and eyes.
Jaundice occurs in the body either because of the increased level of bilirubin in blood or due to the inability of the liver to excrete it. There are some more reasons which can cause jaundice:
- Inflammation in Liver
- Inflammation of bile duct
- Gilbert’s syndrome
- Hemolytic anemia
- Blood diseases
- Genetic syndromes
- Yellow color of skin and white part of eyes normally starts from head
- Pale colored stool
- Nausea and vomiting
- Rectal bleeding
- Dark colored urine
- Fever and chills
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Burning sensations
- Swelling of legs
- Swelling and distension of abdomen due to accumulation of fluids
- Abdominal pain
3 types of Jaundice
- Hepatocellular Jaundice – Liver disease or injury causes this jaundice,
- Hemolytic Jaundice – An accelerated breakdown of red blood cells leads to overproduction of bilirubin, results in hemolytic jaundice.
- Obstructive Jaundice – Occurs due to the blockage in bile duct which prevents bilirubin from leaving liver.
Jaundice in Babies
As in adults, increased level of bilirubin in babies also causes the yellow coloration of skin and white part of eyes, if level increased to excess called Hyperbilirubinemia. Jaundice appears in newly born babies with 3 to 5 days after birth. But it gets better within a week on its own without causing any problem. But if jaundice stays for long without treating it, can result in brain damage called Kernicterus. This can leads to serious lifelong problems.
- When a woman is pregnant, her body removes bilirubin from baby’s body through the placenta. After birth, baby’s body is on its own for removal of bilirubin. Body organs of the baby are not strong enough to excrete bilirubin which leads to increase in the level of bilirubin and cause jaundice in baby. That is the reason jaundice appears within 3 to 5 days after the birth of the baby.
- Problem with baby’s digestive system
- Rh incompatibility
- Baby body gets more yellow
- Be sluggish and not suck well
- Be cranky
- Arch his/her back
- Have high pitched cry
Jaundice Cure or Jaundice Treatments
- Aloe Vera – Mix 1 tsp of aloe vera pulp with black salt and ginger powder. Take the mixture every morning for 10 days to see results.
- Tomato Juice – Take 1 glass of tomato juice, add a pinch of salt and pepper in it. Drink this every morning empty stomach. Tomato Juice is the best home remedy for jaundice.
- Radish Leaves – They contains such compounds which help to initiate appetite and induce regular bowel movement. Extract juice from some radish leaves. Drink about half a liter of radish juice throughout the day, daily for about 10 days. This cure gives you relief from illness.
- Basil Leaves – Take about 10-15 basil leaves and make a paste of it. Mix it in half glass of fresh radish juice. Drink this daily for 2 to 3 weeks for sustain results.
- Sugar Cane – Sugar cane helps in proper digestion and better liver functions, which helps to recover from jaundice quickly. Add a little lime juice to a glass of sugarcane juice. Drink this juice twice a day for quick results. Before extracting juice from sugar cane clean it properly.
- Beetroot and Lemon – Take 1 cup of beetroot juice and add an equal amount of lemon juice in it. Intake this drink regularly for few weeks for effective results.
- Papaya Leaves – Take some papaya leaves and make a paste of it. Add 1 tbsp of honey to 1 tsp of papaya paste. Eat this on a regular basis for about 1 to 2 weeks. This is very amazing and effective home cure for jaundice.