Nutmeg is tropical, aromatic evergreen plant. Nutmeg plant is the only plant which grows 2 spices together – nutmeg and mace. This plant grows 40 to 60 feet tall. Nutmeg flowers are cream colored, and nutmeg fruits are yellow and fleshy like apricot. The tree bears nutmeg which is the seed of nutmeg plant. Nutmeg is delicate and sweet flavored spice used worldwide in various recipes. This tree is of high importance because it contains various essential oils having highly beneficial properties. These beneficial components include dietary fiber, manganese, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, copper, magnesium, and malignant. Nutmeg due to the presence of these nutrients can cure pain, indigestion, strengthen cognitive functions, boost skin health, decrease insomnia, and increase immune system functions.
Nutmeg Health Benefits
- Improves Digestive Health – Nutmeg for eating purposes used in powdered form but even in powdered form, it retains its fiber content which initiates a digestive process by facilitating peristaltic motion in smooth intestinal muscles. It also helps to induce secretion of different gastric and intestinal juices that ease the digestive process. Nutmeg also helps to relieve constipation by initiating a smooth bowel movement.
- Body Detoxification – Nutmeg boost overall health system. In liver and kidney where many toxins are stored and accumulated from the body, nutmeg helps to remove them from the body. Toxins that may be stored from alcohol, drugs, pollution, or natural organic toxins, nutmeg eliminates them all and detoxify body completely. The active ingredient of nutmeg help to dissolve kidney stones and increase overall functions and efficiency of kidney and liver.
- Cure Insomnia – Nutmeg is excellent to cure insomnia problem. A pinch of nutmeg mixed in 1 cup of warm milk is very effective to treat insomnia. Nutmeg is full of magnesium which is an essential mineral for the body to reduce nerve tension and even initiate the release of serotonin which gives the body a feeling of relaxation. This serotonin changes to melatonin in the brain which is a sleep inducer and provide relaxation to the brain by relieving from problems.
- Blood Pressure And Circulation – Nutmeg contains potassium which is a vasodilator and helps to relax blood vessels. When blood vessels get relaxed blood, pressure decreases which in turns lowers the strain on the cardiovascular system. It facilitates the body to intake nutrients from food and to make digestion easy. The calcium found in nutmeg can boost bone health. It also contains iron which can boost red blood cell count and reduce your chances of iron deficiency.
- Brain Health – Various components present in essential oils of nutmeg such as myristicin and macelignan, are tested to decrease degradation of neural pathways and cognitive functions. It helps to treat Alzheimer’s disease symptoms in a person.